Disclaimer*: this is not an exhaustive list – there are hundreds of these things. We’d be here for hours. But the links below are all worth checking out if you’re planning a trip (or if you wish you were).
iphone apps (with a * if they’re on ipad too)
- Lingolook Hindi* – touch the screen and it plays the phrase!
- skype* (do I even have to mention this one?)
- whatsapp – this lets you send text messages to anyone else with the same app over wifi – though it only works if they have the app. So far, that applies to one person I know (Mike, I’m looking at you).
- indiamike.com (the motherlode of India travel advice)
- indiasomeday.com (I’ve made some bookings with these guys and so far they’ve been a dream to deal with – will let you know how that pans out when I actually get there!)
- fullstopIndia blog (loads of practical advice, though a bit US-centric)
- Johnny Vagabond (amazing pics, some pretty funny stories)
- Mumbai magic (Deepa Krishnan’s blog. There is a sister site for Delhi, and she organises walking tours in Delhi, Mumbai & Kochi)
- breathedreamgo (mostly yoga-focussed but beautiful site)
- wanderlustandlipstick.com (travel advice and travel stories from women travellers)
- applying for an Indian visa (in the UK)
- legalnomads.com (for general inspiration)
- Beers&Beans (wicked photos – and the ebook “Getting Out of Auto” is totally worthwhile)
- Almost Fearless (the general blog is cool, but this links to the India-specific posts)
- Whatsdavedoing (token kiwi entry to the list – now to play the 2 degrees of separation game, fellow kiwis: pretty sure that I will know someone who knows someone who knows this guy – anyway, the blog is good value)
*old habits die hard